Visit the local market where villagers seek the day’s fresh ingredients each morning, such as fish, vegetables, dry goods and fresh cuts of meat. Around the corner you’ll find stalls selling fresh fruit to complete the nutritional needs of many households living within the area. Your guide will enlighten you about the secrets to Malaysian cuisine and its varied dishes that appeal to a wide range of palates.
Then head to Penang’s Tropical Spice Garden and explore the spice terraces with your guide. View more than 100 varieties of tropical spices and herbs used in flavorings as well as medicines and dyes, and retrace the historical route of the spice trade. At the cooking school, located on sloping land within the garden's natural setting, join expert local chefs and learn how to cook several authentic Malaysian dishes.
During this hands-on lesson, your small group prepares your own meal from scratch, using traditional mortars and pestles to grind fresh spices and herbs like lemongrass, ginger, curry leaves, garlic and shallots — all harvested straight from the garden! Learn about their culinary features from your instructors, who make Malaysian cooking a fun and unforgettable experience. Afterward, enjoy your yummy lunch with your fellow cooking enthusiasts before returning by minivan to your hotel.
Duration: 6 hour(s)
- Professional English-speaking guide
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- All ingredients for cooking
- Pick-up and Drop-off (hotels in Georgetown, Batu Ferringhi, Tg Bungah, Tg Tokong)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Transfer surcharge for pick-up from Butterworth/ Seberang Jaya
Change & Refund Policies
- Free cancellation at or before 00:00 at least 6 days before the date of use
- Cancellations made at or before 00:00 at least 2 days before the date of use will incur a cancellation fee of 50%
- Cancellations made after 00:00 at least 2 days before the date of use will incur a cancellation fee of 100%
- Partial cancellation of this booking is not permitted
How to Use It
- Mobile or paper ticket accepted
- Your voucher will be sent to your email after your booking is confirmed. Please check the usage instructions on your voucher for more info about how to use it
- Any traveler groups not mentioned in the booking options are not applicable for voucher use.
Adult: Age 12 to 99
Child: Age 9 to 11
Public transportation options are available nearby
Infants are required to sit on an adult’s lap
Suitable for all physical fitness levels
Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
Available for adult only (18 years & above only)